Pre Assessment Department
Prior to your pre-operative assessment, you will have been sent some patient information and this may include an educational DVD, which will explain what will happen to you on a daily basis during your stay at SWLEOC. It also demonstrates the equipment you may need or have to use. It does not contain any images of surgery.
The pre-operative assessment department consists of a highly specialised nursing team who, in conjunction with the anaesthetists and surgeons, ensure that you are fit for your forthcoming surgery. You will initially be contacted via the telephone and asked a series of health questions, including details about all the medications that you take. This is to ensure that you are fit to proceed with surgery and to determine which type of pre assessment clinic you need to attend.
Once you attend a pre assessment clinic, an Advanced Nurse Practitioner or Assistant Nurse Practitioner will:-
- Confirm your medical history including all the medications you take.
- If it is clinically indicated, undertake a physical examination, particularly of your heart and lungs.
- Test a urine sample for infection.
- Check your heart function with an electrocardiograph (ECG);
- Take some blood for various tests;
- Arrange for you to have an X-ray at SWLEOC;
- Take swabs from your nose and groin to check for MRSA.
- and, if it is clinically indicated, may ask you to talk to an anaesthetist in the high risk anaesthetic clinic or to be reviewed by a physiotherapist in the complex physio clinic.
The pre assessment is also an opportunity for you to ask any questions about your forthcoming surgery.
What We Do
Shoulder & Elbow Surgery
Foot & Ankle Surgery
Hand & Wrist Surgery
South West London Elective Orthopaedic Centre
Dorking Road, Epsom, KT18 7EG
Phone: 01372 735 800
Fax: 01372 735 815