You will be sent an appointment to attend the pre-assessment clinic. This appointment is an essential step in ensuring you are fit to proceed with surgery. You should bring your medication with you to this appointment.
You will see an Advanced Nurse Practitioner or Assistant Nurse Practitioner who will:
- Confirm your medical history including all the medications you take.
- If it is clinically indicated we may perform some or all of the following tests and we may contact your GP for additional information about your health and treatments
- Physical examination, particularly of your heart and lungs.
- Test a urine sample for infection.
- Check your heart function with an electrocardiograph (ECG);
- Take some blood for various tests;
- Arrange for you to have an X-ray at SWLEOC;
- Take swabs from your nose and groin to check for MRSA.
- If it is clinically indicated, we may ask you to attend a further appointment with an anaesthetist in the high risk anaesthetic clinic.
The pre assessment is also an opportunity for you to ask any questions about your forthcoming surgery.