• 2002 Pathway planning started • 2003 Building work started • 2004 SWLEOC was opened by H.M The Queen.
SWLEOC is operated by the Trust, in conjunction with neighbouring trusts on a partnership basis from Epsom. This NHS treatment centre provides orthopaedic services to patients of St George's, Croydon Health Services and Kingston hospitals in addition to patients from Epsom and St Helier.
Further services are provided through a network of community hospitals, controlled and managed by Sutton and Merton Primary Care Trust and Surrey Primary Care Trust. These include day surgery, a range of outpatient clinics and intermediate care services.
Since being opened by Her Majesty the Queen in 2004, SWLEOC has grown rapidly to become the largest hip and knee replacement centre in the UK and one of the largest in Europe. At the same time, SWLEOC is becoming a major centre for shoulder surgery and hip arthroscopies, as well as undertaking more than 1,000 minor orthopaedic procedures, most as day cases or short stay.
SWLEOC currently provides a total of 65 beds (two 25-bed post-operative wards and a 15-bed recovery suite with high dependency and critical care facilities) and has five state-of-the-art orthopaedic operating theatres. Our Centre is delivering on its vision to be a world leader in elective orthopaedic care with year on year top patient focused service results. In 2013, SWLEOC has:
• Been recognised as a centre of excellence by many both nationally and internationally for hip and knee replacement surgery and research and development;
• Had its own Professorship awarded recognising its strong commitment to research;
• Achieved 5th place in the prestigious Healthcare 100 list. The influential list includes the top UK healthcare employers and is compiled by the Health Service Journal and Nursing Times. The award is open to all healthcare organisations across the UK from GP surgeries and primary care trusts to hospitals up and down the country;
• Experienced no episodes of MRSA cross contamination, although SWLEOC does treat patients with MRSA;
• Led the NHS on the shortest length of stay for patients needing hip and knee surgery and has performed over 3,000 hip and knee replacements - more than any other hospital in the UK;
• Supported the clinical trials of blood clot busting drug Rivaroxaban.